Marketing your business, brand or service with an App is very popular at the moment with the boom of the smartphone and tablet markets. This trend is not going to go away for sometime as devices continue to develop and change the way we consume information.
To give you a little food for thought before you jump in and create your App, here are a few points that we think you need to fullfill with your App before you release it to the marketplace.
- Super Useful – Your business App should make life easier for your target market. Determine information that they desire on a regular basis and give it to them. For example, if you are a holiday destination you might want to provide them weather reports, accommodation and activity specials along with suggested places/things to do while on holiday.
- Interactive – If your target market can interact with your brand and business on their phone you will form a relationship with them and increase brand loyalty. Nike have a great example of this with their App called NikeWomen Training Club. It lets users customize their workouts, access videos, and invite friends to compete.
- Entertaining – Make your App amuse people, again you will build brand loyalty by allowing your target market to feel good about your brand by entertaining them. Coca-Cola has a great example with their spin the bottle iPhone app. A review on the Apple’s App store says that he and his roommate use the iPhone app every night to decide who takes out the trash.
- Mix it up – The more birds you can kill with one stone the better! Why not do the same for your target market with your App. Kraft’s iFood Assistant suggests recipes, lets users upload their own and share them with other users, you can then create a shopping list to make sure you get everything you need for your new found recipes.
- Free is loved by all – The App industry can make a developer some pretty big pocket change, but for now you are better off considering the development costs as a marketing expense and giving the app away for free. If you try and charge people even a dollar for it they will hesitate to purchase it and you could miss a new potential life long consumer. Give it away for free and you will increase your chances of your iPhone app going viral within your target market.
This post has been revisited and re-posted. Originally posted on the 9th of November, 2009.